Saturday, May 12, 2007


It is her birthday today. She turned 4. But she did not spend it with her mummy and daddy and little brother and sister, because 9 days ago someone stole her from her bedroom, while they were holidaying in Portugal. Somehow, "Happy Birthday" does not seem appropriate. The poor child, if she is alive, and we must believe that she is, must be so petrified.

I am joining the millions of others who have heard about this little girl, in praying for Madeleine's family

Tomorrow is Mother's Day, but for poor Kate McCann it must be like a double blow. They said that were going to celebrate her birthday, but how difficult it must have been for them to celebrate when the birthday-girl was not there to blow out the candles on her cake. I note that Gerry and Kate make frequent visits to the church in Praia da Luz, which suggests that they do have faith. I pray that through this ordeal, they may be sustained and comforted by the Lord.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23).

I don't wish to make this blog full of platitudes. To be absolutely frank, I have no answers, and don't understand why things like this happen. I cannot begin to understand the agony those who are nearest and dearest to this sweet little girl, but with millions of others, I continue to pray that she will be brought home.

No comments: